Why do you need a proofreading service?
Bad typos are embarrassing, formatting errors in essays cost you your grades and your protagonists have red hair in the first chapter and immediately convert to black hair in the next. You are excited to get your content out in the world but you have to check it before doing so. This is where proofreading service rears its stern head.
Proofreading is the final step in the entire editing process which ensures that your academic document or business document is free from any remaining grammar, punctuation and formatting errors and is ready to go. It is necessary to give your content that final touch before it is a finished product. We have 4 major areas of content in which proofreading is crucial to ensure that it is free from errors.
1) Academic documents
Academic documents comprise term papers, research papers, dissertations and essays. If you have sent in an essay with a huge typo that felt like the end of the world, you know what I am talking about. Proofreading is essential in academic documents because:
- Omits repeated phrases and words. When the word limit is of 3000 words, you try to stretch it as thinly as possible. While this may work for you, it does not work for your essay, leaving it a blubbering pile of mess. A Proofreading service offers a solution in the form of refining your sentences and deleting those heavy words like ‘therefore’ in every single sentence that you have typed.
- Gives you your own personal ‘Eureka!’ moment. It is not possible to squeeze out every single bit of perspective to your academic writing in one sitting. Try as much as you can, some bits completely escape your brain. Proofreading your essay a couple of times jogs your memory and all the things that you missed light up like a thousand light bulbs.
- Checks formatting errors. Why is one subheading font size 12 but the subsequent one is a size 14? Those paragraphs that you typed in one long, brilliantly creative stroke now seem too long to read. All those sources that you have cited are all jumbled up and you don’t know who is the author and what is the book and ahhhh, you’ve officially gone crazy. But that’s where a proofreading service butts its head in. It aligns your documents, segregates your writing into smaller paragraphs, evens out the font size and cites your sources according to whatever format (Chicago/APA/Harvard/MLA) correctly.
2) Business Documents
Business documents are at the top of the list for need of proofreading. There are confidential emails, intricate legal documents and important client pitches that need to be refined and checked before they are dispatched. A Proofreading service is necessary here because:
- Correction of typos. Typos are embarrassing. And when you make them in an email, that will go to your boss, it may shut the door on your face. A similar thing might happen in an important presentation that you are making in front of an important client and it says “Introsuction” instead of Introduction. You will most definitely want the earth to swallow you whole.
- To the point communication. Business is all about being direct and diplomatic. If your clients or fellow partners do not understand what you’re trying to spin, it will pretty much backfire. Proofreading ensures that you cut out the going-around-in-circles drama and present your points clearly. It cuts out flamboyant words, unnecessary jargon and repetitive sentences so that your pitch is an immediate success!
- Refine the tone and style of the document. Business documents need to be devoid of any words that might make them seem emotional. If your email sounds like you want to extend the hand of brotherhood to another company, it’s probably time to proofread it. Proofreading helps you spot any trace of ‘dear’, ‘amazing’, or in some extreme cases, ‘lit!’ (yes, with an exclamation mark) and delete it furiously.
3) Online content
Ah, the place where everything stays forever. Online content is our endless pit of information and the source of endless laughs. Be very, very, very careful about what you post online because it might end up being one of the worst mistakes of your life.
- Checks your typos and spelling mistakes. On the web, millions of people view your content. While this is a good thing in terms of visibility and growth, it can prove terrible if it’s troll-worthy. Proofreading online content for typos and spelling mistakes can save you from years worth of embarrassment.
- Keywords and SEO. After you proofread your website or your online articles, it is more likely that you include trending keywords which make your content easily visible and widely accessible. Proofreading your website also includes correcting your hyperlinks, checking whether there are any broken hyperlinks or so, etc.
- Maintain a consistent style and voice. If your website has a lot of content from multiple bloggers and writers, a professional proofreading service will ensure that the voice of your website remains consistent.
- Save time and embarrassment. It’s always better to give time to proofread your website for spelling errors, punctuation mistakes than to have your readers point them out to you.
4) Books (Fiction and Non-Fiction)
- Correct grammar and punctuation errors, and typos. When you hold a piece of work dear to your heart, you don’t see minute errors in your copy, which a professional proofreading service might. Even if proofreading is the last step in the entire editing process, it is vital for the book to become a proper finished copy.
- Formatting your book. Proofreading is the final step in the editing process where it checks whether the formatting of your book is even and consistent. A professional proofreading service will check whether your sources are cited correctly, whether your book adheres to a chosen style guide, typographical errors, etc.
Proofreading is the safety parachute of your written work. If it fails, your work tanks. Many of us underestimate the importance of a proofreading service, the most common arguments being, ‘we can do such a small step on our own’ and ‘why waste money for this’. A professional service sweeps the finite errors that may have escaped your eye and in doing so, contribute to your book/document/online content being the polished work that it might not have been without it.
4.5 out of 5 on Google reviews and 4.6 out of 5 on Reviews.co.uk.
I was happy to receive both a tracked and a clean version of the edited document.
I will happily recommend PaperTrue to my friends, and I will myself come back on a later occasion.
Amazing service and a welcoming chat on the website! I love the detailed comments and feedback on the tracked document :) They really did a good job at making my debut novel a lot better while still keeping my style of writing!
Much love from Denmark <3